The last 4 years have been a blur.. met my wife in Australia, had two baby girls 1 year apart, found out I had a brain tumour which was removed and realised things needed to change. I was working 70-80 hours a week to pay for a mortgage and stuff that just seemed no longer important.
We had decided to move to Philippines to open a business in Cebu but upon living there for a few months decided to return home. While we were there a resort came for sale in Bantayan which was one of our favourites but we couldn’t close a deal. This was the start of the path to Isla Hayahay.
Almost immediately after returning to Australia an agent messaged us about a resort in Bohol, I had only been to Bohol once and that was to Alona beach which I despised so I wasn’t very interested. My wife has family here and suggested I travel here alone to experience it and make a decision one way or another. So I jumped on a plane for a quick 3 day trip.. I just wanted to say “I told you I don’t like Bohol” but something happened. I arrived at night at Tubigon port alone and the taxis and tricycles only asked me once did I need a ride and didn’t follow me after I said “no thank you” which was a complete contrast to Cebu. My wife’s cousin lent me a scooter and after a 20min ride I arrived at resort. I didn’t see much at night but could see that there was still earthquake damage from 2013. Next morning I woke up and “wow” something clicked, this was different and I could see our family living here. The rest as they say is history and although was far from an easy transition we are here and living the dream.
Why Hayahay Beach Resort?
1. Location. Isla Hayahay Beach resort is located on Pangangan island off the coast of Calape which is on the west coast of Bohol, it is situated in a secluded barangay called lomboy with an approximate population of 120. This picturesque and quiet location is only surpassed by its people who are some of the warmest and most caring people I have ever met and the main reason that Isla Hayahay exists. The fastest way to get there from Cebu is to catch a fast craft from pier 1 to Tubigon port which is only a 1 hour at sea and a 20minute transfer to resort or by air to Tagbilaran airport which is around 1 hour from the resort.
2. Food glorious food. Our restaurant is well known and loved with the staff at Isla hayahay being very skilled cooks in their own right. Our menu includes filipino favourites as well as Indian, Mexican, Italian and various sea food options. Our ingredients are never substituted and are sourced far and wide. Seafood is daily purchased direct from fisherman and many items such as meat ravioli and lasagna is handmade completely from scratch. Almost all of our guests rave about how good the food is so why not come and try for yourself?
3. Crystal clear waters. Weather you want to snorkel, kayak, or take a ride in our glass bottom boat, all of these activities are right at the water’s edge of Isla hayahay. Island hopping is also a favourite with 3 stops the first being Dumog deserted white sand island and to the traditional village islands of Inunuran & Mantatao where you can visit local schools and see traditional filipino life that’s not spoilt by mass tourism where often you will be the only visitor you will see. The new addition of our boat which can seat 8 passengers and has a partial glass bottom opens up new doors for people who may not like to swim, we can travel over reefs that seem somehow magnified and experience the thrill of snorkelling without getting wet.
4. Relax and unwind. Even if you don’t want to participate in any activities Isla hayahay is still for you, spending the day lazing around on our lounges listening to soft music while having a drink from our bar with selections such as beer, wine, spirits and cocktails. You can even have an in room massage for that extra special touch.
5. Our rooms: we have 8 rooms which are all quite large with 7 having queen and a single bed and 1 with 2 doubles. You can relax at night watching our flat screen cable TV’s after having a hot shower or sit on your balcony and face book your friends using our free wifi. We also have a huge selection of DVD’s and books for your extra pleasure.
6. Tours: At Isla Hayahay we have many tours available and our location makes the tour not repetitive. You can choose from our country side tour where you can see the chocolate hills, manmade forest, tarsier sanctuary, and the world famous loboc river cruise and baclayon church. We also have dolphin watching tours to Balicasag Island, adventure tours to danao Adventure Park, scuba diving at Cabilao Island, bird watching and hiking where you can rest at a water fall along the way.
7. Staff: Did I mention our staff? There is a reason when most guests leave they ask for a hug and a picture with our team. They will treat you like family and make you feel welcome like no other. Come and experience our team for yourself you will be glad you did.
8. Unspoilt: At Isla Hayahay our location enables you to experience a vacation that is not like the main stream tourist areas of alona beach at Panglao. Listen to the birds, watch the flying fish or star gaze at night with no hawkers or people hassling you for money in sight.
9. Swimming pool. Due for completion may 2015 our pool features beach area, bar service and water slide. Just relax and gaze out into the ocean that seems to go forever.
10. Promo. If you mention this article you will receive a 15% discount of our already reasonable rates and free transfer from Tubigon port with a 2 night stay. Current published rates are 1950php per night twin share or 2350php triple share (subject to change). View our website www.islahayahay.com or call us on 09471303891